Hello, hello, hello!!!!
Today I am blogging about the Halloween costume I made for my daughter. I am going to say on record that I absolutely despise Halloween. Yup, I am just not a fan. Perhaps it is because Halloween in Oregon is usually freezing so no one actually sees the costume after being bundled up in coats, jackets, boots…etc. Or is it because I think it is weird that we would have our children walk around begging for candy from absolute strangers? Or maybe the ridiculous amount of candy that they pester you for on a daily basis until the next holiday comes around? Or it could be all of the above. haha. Anyways, I have always refused to hand make costumes in the past…..until this year. THIS year, my daughter wanted to be Cinderella. How could I say no to making that?! I also figured she will be using this all year to play dress up in so I justified making it for that reason alone. In addition, sewing dresses is just fun….so there is that too.
I used the Lil Luxe Dress Pattern as my foundation and adjusted a few things here and there to get the Cinderella look I was going for. I slightly lowered the front neckline by approximately 1/2″, not much but just enough to get more of the Cinderella scoop.
To get the traditional princess v-shape along the bottom of the bodice front and back; I took the original bodice curve and flipped it in the opposite direction. I then adjusted the skirt panels using that angle to compensate for the newly dropped center so my hem would be straight when sewn on. I also tweaked the back opening by making the curve more of a v-shape and raising it slightly.
I cut one set of cap sleeves using the pattern pieces provided. I then made an extra set of sleeves that were modified by adding width for gathering on top and bottom of the sleeve. Once the second sleeve set was gathered, I basted them to the original cap sleeve and continued my construction as per tutorial instruction.
The bustles were made using the circle skirt pattern pieces. I simply cut 4 half circles, sewed around the curve of each set, turned right side out and gathered the top straight edge to fit my bodice from side to side.
The skirt is constructed as the pattern directs. However, I added an additional two layers of tulle when I attached my skirt lining to the bodice seam. To add more volume to the base of the skirt without adding bulk to the bodice seam, I attached layers of tulle in tiers to the lower portion of my skirt lining.
All in all, I used about 11 yards of tulle to create the fullness you see here. All fabrics used to make the dress were purchased from Joann’s. The gloves were purchased off of Amazon and were a perfect fit!
My daughter is absolutely beside herself over the new dress. And yes, it was absolutely worth going back on my anti-costume making ways to see the smile on her face.
Hope you all have a wonderful Halloween this year! <3